Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions regarding your horticulture education? Often, many of them are answered here.
What is our mission?
To satisfy industry needs through relevant education.
I am interested in working in the production industry, and am wondering if this education will give me the knowledge to do so?
Production of any plant requires some foundational knowledge which we cover in great detail. However, specialty crops will have specific needs and sometimes detailed grower guidelines which are also addressed in our programs. Students also have the opportunity to focus on specific areas within the industry in our diploma program.
When does the next full-time study period begin?
The best time to begin your studies is NOW! Study online at your speed!
Can I study part-time at Orchid Horticulture?
Orchid Horticulture allows learning at your speed wherever you may be. All you need is an internet connection.
I want to retrain for a career that makes me happy. Do you have students that are a bit older?
At Orchid Horticulture you will find a learning environment that is unique. Many of our students are retraining for a second or third career or just want to gain knowledge in a field that they love.
What kind of prerequisites are required?
You will need to have English proficiency in order to study with us. English is the official language of instruction at SSH. All applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency to be considered for admission to any program. English language proficiency is achieved by meeting one of the following criteria:
1. Successful completion of at least three years of formal, full-time study in English at a secondary school that meets one of the following requirements: a. Is in an exempt country; OR b. Is accredited to offer Canadian, American or British curricula; OR
2. Successful completion of at least two years of formal, full-time study in English at an accredited or recognized post-secondary institution in Canada; OR
3. Achieved a final grade of 80 per cent or better on the Saskatchewan English Language Arts 30 (or equivalent); OR
4. Achieved a grade of 5 or better on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher or Standard Level English A (Literature or Language and Literature) examination or a grade of 6 or better on the Higher Level English B examination; OR
5. Achieved a grade of 4 or better on the Advanced Placement (AP) English Literature and Composition or English Language and Composition examination; OR
6. Achieved a grade of “A” or “B” in GCSE-level, A/S-level or A-level English (non-ESL) in the General Certificate of Education (GCE)/General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) curriculum; OR
7. Successful completion of at least three years at a school in English that is an accredited member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), including completion of a senior academic English course (Saskatchewan 30 level or equivalent); OR
8. Successful completion of an approved English language test as follows:
Acceptable English Language Tests
TOEFL IBT: 86
TOEFL PBT: 560
IELTS Academic: 6.5
Cambridge English Language Assessment: Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): 180
Cambridge English Language Assessment: Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE): 180
Normally, students will only be admissible if the English Language Proficiency requirements have been satisfied. SSH has the authority to use discretion in exceptional circumstances.
What are the values reflected at OH?
The following values will be reflected in the ongoing development and implementation of the programs at Orchid Horticulture:
– Accessible programs and services
– Industry relevance and responsiveness
– Industry capacity and sustainability of service
– Operational efficiency and flexibility
– Cost-effective programs and services
– Quality training